After the dust has settled following the initial hype and all commotion to install and get the new Traktor DJ App running, what have we noticed about the Traktor DJ App? Are you having some syncing issues with Traktor DJ iPad App?
What are we actually Syncing?
Native Instruments say that we can Sync Metadata! Great, but what actually IS that? After a little digging around I found this article on the NI Knowledge Base. It tells us for a more in depth explanation to see section 18.8 of the Traktor 2 Manual. This does not exists – but some information can be found in section 20.8.
It seems that the best functionality of the iPad Traktor DJ App for those wishing to use it with Traktor Pro 2 is:
- When you purchase new tracks on your iPad and you want to analyze them and add beatgrids and hot cues whilst on the move.
- When you want to take your iPad to DJ instead of your computer
The only function that I have been unable to set up (maybe this is lacking), is the ability to sync your newly created playlists that you create on your iPad to your Traktor Pro.
The Traktor Pro 2 Manual says:
- All iOS devices must be synchronised with the same iTunes Library running on the same computer as Traktor Pro. iOS devices linked to other computers/libraries will not be able to sync properly.
So is this my problem? As I have my iPad synced to my iMac and Traktor Pro is on my Mac Air, this could be the cause of the issue.
Testing out iPad Sync
In order to test this theory, I did the follwing:-
- Back up iPad on the iMac (or Main iTunes Computer).
- Then connect the iPad to the DJ Laptop, whilst logged in to the same account that I use Traktor on.
- Make sure that this copy of iTunes is ‘authorized’ to use my iTunes account
- Store > Authorize This Computer > Type in your iTunes Account info
- ‘Transfer purchases’ from my iPad to this new location of iTunes (So that I have the Traktor DJ App.
- Right Click the iPad icon in the side bar* > Transfer Purchase (This may take some time as it will transfer all Apps and music that you have on the iPad.
- Sync Relevant content to your iPad
*If you don’t have the sidebar displayed in your iTunes, simply go to ‘View’ in the menu bar and select ‘Show SideBar’
You must obviously go through all the steps to set up the Syncing of Traktor with iTunes and Drop Box too (Which you have likely already done) I would also make sure you read the following two Native Instruments publications thoroughly:
- How to Set up Metadata Sync with Traktor Pro 2 and Traktor DJ
- Important Notes Regarding Traktor DJ, DropBox and MetaData Sync
After going through all of this process, I am still unable to create a playlist on the iPad for it to appear on Traktor or in iTunes. One thing that did however change was the both ways syncing. In other words, I had some songs on my iPad that I had imported into Traktor DJ, that have now been added to my Traktor Music Collection.
I tested out creating and deleting playlists in iTunes on the DJ laptop, none of this syncs with the iPad App.
Secondly, if you buy music on the move and download tracks to your iPad, through iTunes, this track will then be available to you in your Traktor DJ App for you to lay cue points and loops. Before this information can be seen in your Traktor Pro 2 software you must connect your iPad to your computer and ‘Transfer Purchases‘. (NI recommend you do not have automatic download activated for your music)
After these more in depth tests, I can conclude that Traktor DJ and Traktor Pro 2 do not sync Playlists, this is a huge oversight by Native Instruments and I feel this is something they should strive to add in future App Updates.
I feel that the syncing set up required here is not straightforward enough for the beginner and due to many different possible complications involving iTunes, dropbox, Flac and M4a files there is still a lot of work to do to make this marriage; a marriage made in heaven.
Have your Say
I’d love to hear any feedback from the readers – Have you experienced the same? Are your Playlists Syncing?
Is there something I have missed or other experiences you have had that you would like to share…. Let us all know in the comments.