A Traktor Tips reader, Cecil, writes: “I am buying a new laptop computer for about $700.00 and would like to now what is the best bang for the money. I know everybody said apple but i don’t have Apple money and with all the choice out there my head is spinning. Can you point me in the right place?”
Traktor Tips Says:
As I haven’t used a PC for a number of years now, I am not qualified to fully answer your question. What I can say however, is that the first Mac book pro lasted me 6 years,until I dropped it and even now it still works. It’s just missing the back casing. You might find a great used Mac for that price, but if you are looking for something newer and cheaper, I would simply take into account the following considerations.
- Weight – if your going to gigs to play, you want it light
- Reliability – you want a brand that is known for great build quality
- Storage – You want to allow room in your budget for an external hard drive for back up. This means you can maybe cut back on the size of the built in drive so you can store everything on your external. This is down to personal preference, but always have a back up of your music!
- Screen Size – Although you want it light, you will also not want a tiny screen that you have difficulty in seeing when placed away from the decks in a DJ booth.
- Specs – Always make sure you have the minimum specs, which isn’t hard to do these days when buying a new computer.
Whilst I am not familiar with particular brands, these factors might help you in narrowing down your choices.
If any readers have some good suggestions and positive experiences of the PC’s they have been using, please help Cecil, by posting your suggestions in the comments below.